Sunday, October 25, 2009

Level 1 Certification

Friday was a rest day in anticipation of the 16+ hours of Crossfit-ness on Saturday and Sunday, at the Level 1 Certification at Crossfit Fairfax. Needless to say, I learned a lot, and my legs are killing me from the workouts and all of the time I spent hanging out at the bottom of my still-immature air squat.

On Saturday, we did a Tabata squats workout in the morning, and followed that up with a team Fran in the afternoon. I gamed the squats a little bit since our lowest score ended up being the score we reported; 15 was a somewhat solid number, but I'd of course like to do better. Team Fran went relatively well: as a team of 5 (all of the PCF crew who attended the Cert - Jamie, Tara, Jen F, and Laura B), we had to accomplish 200 thrusters (mine were at 65 lb) and 250 pullups. I didn't keep exact track of my numbers, but am guessing I got somewhere in the 45 rep range for thrusters, and about 30 pullups, which were all kipping singles. Ok scores, considering I felt kind of worked over after the morning seminars and WOD. Got some good tips on making my thruster more efficient - I need to keep my elbows down, unlike during normal front squats. This helped me explode a little better into the push press part of the movement.

Sunday they took it a little easier on us and gave us a 10:00 AMRAP couplet of 10 burpees and 10 partner medicine ball situps. The gym was a bit crowded, which may have slowed me down a bit, and I lost count, but I think Jamie and I managed at least 6 rounds, if not 7. Tweaked my burpee form a little bit by widening my stance throughout the burpee, which really helped me get onto my heels and explode out of the pushup position.

I could go on and on about what I learned this weekend, but I have two midterms to study for, and I've already done some serious procrastinating this evening. Monday will be a rest day!

4 comments:

Chad PCF said...

Congrats on the Cert!

Sally said...

Congrats on your L1!!

Ken said...

Congrats on the L1! It's surprisingly a taxing weekend. I actually took a 3-4 day break afterwards to mend my sore muscles and also dry off all the kool-aid. Ha!!

Sarah Smith said...

No kidding. I definitely enjoyed myself, but I had a bad case of Crossfit overload for a few days after.